|Somatic Foundations: Trauma- Informed Practice for Healthcare Professionalsshow details +||$360.00 (CAD)||Expired|
Sale Dates- The dates when this option is available for purchase.
Goes On Sale: June 14, 2021 11:30 pm
Sales End: September 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Access- This option allows access to the following dates and times.
- September 25, 2021 - September 26, 2021
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Somatic Foundations: Trauma- Informed Practice (TIP) for Healthcare Professionals
Raise Trauma Awareness I Build Compassionate and Collaborative Practices I Promote Resilience and Regulation
Instructor:Elisa Peterson, BA, Somatic Trauma Therapist, MEd student
All Healthcare Professionals Welcome: Massage Therapists, Acupuncturists, Naturopaths, Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Athletic Trainers, Physiotherapists and other allied healthcare professionals.
Course Outline: PFD Available
About: Trauma-Informed Practice for Healthcare Professionals
Trauma-informed practice fosters an environment where the unique story of each person’s life experience is met with body-oriented compassion and awareness in order to safely and respectfully provide appropriate care and service.
Trauma-Informed Practice (TIP) for Healthcare Professionals is a unique, body-oriented training designed to support healthcare clinicians in creating a trauma-informed environment for their clients. The goal of the training is to raise awareness of trauma and develop somatic communication skills to build compassion, safety, and regulation in the therapeutic relationship. Curriculum is tailored to meet the unique needs of clinicians and their clients with relevant considerations for working one-on-one in practice.
Trauma through the Lens of the Nervous System
- Trauma is considered as a state of dysregulation rather than an event
- Trauma happens and heals in the context of relationship
- Understanding how therapist self-regulation affects that of our clients is key to creating an environment of safety
- Our Body is Intelligent: Has an innate capacity for self-regulation and resilience
- Our Body is a Communicator: Gives us cues about how it’s doing and what it needs
- Our Body is Responsive: Assesses safety and responds to threat in our environment
Learning Approach I Knowledge + Embodiment = Whole Body Learning
Participants are given the opportunity to explore and expand their learning through somatic or body-centred exercises. This process of embodied learning deepens understanding by gaining a body-oriented perspective of intellectual concepts. Individual and group exercises offer time for reflection, building self-awareness, and the development of trust in the classroom.
I. Relational Nature of Stress and Trauma
- Defining Trauma In the ANS, Dr. Peter Levine
- Reptilian Brain and Neuroception
- Bottom-up Processing
II. Introduction to Trauma Physiology:
- Self-Regulation and the Threat Response Cycle
- Polyvagal Theory, Dr. Stephen Porges
- Traumatic Stress and Dysregulation
- Symptoms of Traumatic Stress
III. Somatic Communication I Principles and Practice
- Body Awareness and Body Cues
- Interoception, The Language of Sensation
- Attunement and Window of Tolerance
- The Comfort Scale
- Wellbeing as a Collaborative and Interactive Therapeutic Relationship
IV. Categories of Trauma and Statistics
V. Scope of Practice and Referrals
VI. Regulation Self-Care for Healthcare Professionals
Dates & Times I Mixed Mode Delivery
- Online: Friday Evening I September 24th, 2021, 6:30pm-8:30pm PST
- In-person: Saturday and Sunday I September 25th & 26th, 2021, 9:00am- 4:30pm PST
- Online: Group Discussion: Sunday I October 17th 10:30am- 12:00pm PST
Sliding Scale I Open to Everyone
If you would like to be part of the training, Get in Touch with Elisa.
Donated Class Fee I Healing As A Community
10% of your registration fees will be donated to support Indigenous Communities of Canada:
Venue: Hollyburn Family Services
Venue Phone: +1 604-987-8211Address: